In this episode, Stephanie interviews Lily Nichols, RDN, CDE. Lily is a registered dietitian who specializes in gestational diabetes. One of her biggest passions is prenatal nutrition research and education, which is what we are going to talk about on today’s show. We discuss alternative nutrition considerations for pregnancy, dispell common myths, and so much more! We share similar philosophies on prenatal nutrition and since we nerded out for almost two hours, we split this interview into two parts. If you enjoy this information make sure to check out her book, Real Food for Pregnancy, and the Whole30 Healthy Mama, Happy Baby program which covers this topic in more detail.
Topics Discussed in Part 1:
- Lily's story: why she wrote this book, how her pregnancy went, and how she used the recommendations from her book to support her pregnancy.
- How to navigate food cravings and aversions.
- Why cravings and aversions may serve an important role.
- Controversial foods, including runny egg yolks and raw fish.
- And more!
Topics Discussed in Part 2
- Prenatal supplements - which to take and why.
- The importance of glycine and choline.
- Why pregnant women may need more salt than what’s currently recommended.
- How to work with providers if you’re receiving pushback.
- And more!
Please remember that the views on this podcast and website are not meant to be substituted for medical advice, shouldn’t be used to diagnose, treat or cure any conditions, and are intended for general information purposes only.