Dr. Elana interviews Dr. Michael Goran and Dr. Emily Ventura, authors of the popular book, Sugarproof - The Hidden Dangers of Sugar That Are Putting Your Child's Health at Risk and What You Can Do!
Michael contributes over three decades of childhood nutrition research while Emily brings her experience as a public health educator to create a book that we believe all parents can benefit from!
This book is NOT about avoiding sugar 100% or demonizing this food. Their goal is to help families navigate through the overwhelming amount of sugars and sweeteners in our food environment and implement simple strategies to cut down on sugar to a healthier and enjoyable level.
By the end of this episode, you will have actionable steps with what you can do to reduce your child’s sugar consumption, especially during this holiday season!
- Why sugar is a confusing and overwhelming topic with 200 different names for them
- 5 tips for how to handle sugar at birthday parties
- Why Agave should be avoided along with fruit-based sugars
- Top preferred sugars to focus on
- The rule of using less added sugars even including healthier options such as honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, and date sugar
- How a 7-day challenge can reset sweet taste preference
- How artificial sweeteners can affect the gut and cause a sugar dip
- How liquid sugars are among the worse of all sugars and how important it is to dilute or better yet find healthier alternatives
- Sugarproof No-Bake Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Click here to learn more about Dr. Elana Roumell’s Doctor Mom Membership, a membership designed for moms who want to be their child’s number one health advocate!
- Click here to learn more about Steph Greunke, RD’s online nutrition program and community, Postpartum Reset, an intimate private community and online roadmap for any mama (or mama-to-be) who feels stuck, alone, and depleted and wants to learn how to thrive in motherhood.
- Listen to today’s episode on our website