In this episode, Stephanie interviews Ali Miller, RD from AliMillerRD.com to discuss considerations for cesarean births including: the mental and emotional side of changing your birth plan, concerns for mom and baby, and tips for a speedy recovery! Ali shares her story of home birth turned hospital cesarean and how she took action to ensure optimal health for herself and her baby, Stella. It's a truly inspiring story!
Because our conversation was jam-packed with resources to support those planning or recovering from a cesarean birth, we decided to split the episode into two parts. That way, you'll be able to take in all of this great information without feeling overwhelmed (in a good way!).
Topics discussed in Part 1:
- Ali's story
- Her original birth plan and how that changed
- How she managed the change in birth plan (emotionally, mentally, physically)
- The differences between a gentle (or natural or family-centered) cesearean and a traditional cesarean
Topics discussed in Part 2:
- Concerns of cesarean sections
- How to address these concerns with a food-as-medicine, functional medicine approach
- Considerations for mom and baby
- Vaginal inoculation and supplements
- Low-carb, moderate protein, high-fat diets during pregnancy and nursing
- How Ali feeds her toddler
- Ali's practice, cookbook, and services
Ali Miller is an integrative functional medicine practitioner with a background in naturopathic medicine. She is a Registered and Licensed Dietitian, Certified Diabetes Educator, certified weight management specialist, recognized leader, speaker, educator, and advocate in her field. Ali has a passion to create public awareness regarding the significant role diet plays in our overall health and believes everything we put in our body can contribute towards optimal health or dysfunction and disease.
Her Food-As-Medicine philosophy is supported by up-to-date scientific research for a functional approach to healing the body. Ali’s message has influenced millions through media with weekly television segments, corporate outreach and within the medical community, and named one of Houston's 50 most influential women of 2015. Ali’s expertise can be accessed through her website: www.alimillerRD.com
offering a blog, podcasts, online learning, and access to her practice in Montrose, Naturally Nourished.
Enjoy the listen!
Click here to listen or find the podcast on iTunes or Stitcher!
Please remember that the views on this podcast and website are not meant to be substituted for medical advice, shouldn’t be used to diagnose, treat or cure any conditions, and are intended for general information purposes only.